Sunday, July 12, 2009

NEV-100 Problems

Well... we may have been blessed with a good, uneventful flight to Pittsburgh but we were dealt a bit of excitement two nights after we arrived when my NEV-100 decided not to work. I got into the Porta Lung at 9 pm to have a peaceful sleep and found that the NEV would not go on. My dad flicked the "on" switch and immediately an alarm started ringing on us. Whenever this happens, it is usually late at night when I need breathing assistance and no one is available to help. I get a little anxious and worried in these situations. Aside from stressing out, I pray that the Lord will help us through the problem and get the machine to work. Unlike other past NEV issues I have had where there was internal failure, this time the problem was not too serious and we were able to get it going after turning it on and off thirty times. I didn't sleep very well that night though, because I was nervous that the machine might just shut off at some point during the night. I didn't know what wouldd happen! But it didn't shut off; it was fine once it went on. We thought it might be just a fluky problem but the next night it happened again. The second night it took longer to get it going so the next morning I got up and left the machine running alk day (once it was running, it was fine.). So then, I contacted a friend who is an electrical engineer because I thought he might know how to fix it. Though he wasn't familiar with repairing these kind of respirators, he was extremely helpful in that he found someone who likes to tinker with machines and wasn't afraid to take a look at my ventilator. This friend, this other guy, and a woman knowledgeable about these machines, spent five hours trying to fix it. They took the machine apart and found that the problem had to do with the fan so they fixed it and cleaned out the whole inside of the machine. They were SO NICE to do this for me!!! I am so grateful!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to post a record of your experience with the Respironics NEV-100. Your information was very helpful to me in support of my care for my father.
    ***Blessings***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Friend2all. Glad that my words could help you out. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Folks, the NEV-100 is a good machine but sometimes it causes some troubles.
    If the NEV-100 starts with a system error and won't go on working, there is also a way to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mat, thanks for posting. How do you fix the machine when it gives an error message? Will you please share your expertise with me? It's valuable info and I'd like to hear it. Are you a technician or an average user who has tinkered around with the NEV? Please share your knowledge so that us Porta Lung users can have peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...