Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Patient’s Misfortune

How many of you have had something go wrong with your health, end up in a hospital, and wish you had never gotten to the point where you needed hospital care? How many of you were in such a situation, you knew how the problem could be solved, but you didn’t have the medical equipment on hand to prevent the inevitable hospital visit?
I was in such a situation sixteen years ago. This is how it happened. To give my readers the full picture, let me give a little background on the condition of my breathing capabilities. I used to have an old fashioned Iron Lung as a child, which I slept in every night for four years straight. It strengthened my lungs to the point where I did not any assistance for breathing at night for about 3 to 4 years. Then, when I turned thirteen my scoliosis became more severe and after being evaluated by a pulmonologist at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, he said I would be dead within a week if I did not go back on a respirator. When I returned home, my parents put me on the Iron Iron Lung and my oxygen levels immediately rose to their normal status.
A couple years later we had to relocate to Pittsburgh but could not bring the Iron Lung with us as it was too big and monstrous to move anywhere. So I tried a cuirass negative pressure respirator with jump suit and a cage that goes over the respiratory system. This was run by a vacuum cleaner type ventilator. As we would soon find out, this cuirass respirator could not provide enough air to my lungs to sustain me; thus, I got very weak. Then I caught a cold and since the cuirass didn’t give me what I needed, my CO2 rose so high that I just passed out. Thus, I ended up in the intensive care of Mercy Hospital where I remained for 4 months.
The one good thing that came out of all this was the fact that we found out about the Porta- Lung. Up until this time we didn’t know such a negative pressure respirator existed! However, we did know what kind of respiration I needed - the kind the Iron Lung provided. We knew the Iron Lung had become extinct so the question then arose: What respirator was comparable or similar in breathing rhthym to the Iron Lung? The Porta-Lung.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there, I had a link to your blog from Maggie Nara in Florida. I met her years ago when she was on vacation in MAssachusetts.
    You are an inspiration to me and I will spread the word and keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post, Ruby. I had the privilege of meeting Maggie last year and I love her lots. She has a very joyful heart and is truly an inspiration. Please spread the word about this blog. If you know any pulmonologists who might be interested in learning about the Porta Lung, tell them to go on this blog or to email me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...