Friday, May 15, 2009

Relief For Congestion

I found that elevating the feet of the Porta-Lung and letting mucous drain to my head is very important for getting the best out of the Porta-Lung’s respiration. At home I always have my feet elevated but we have been traveling so for the past week, we have kept my porta-lung flat. The other night I had a lot of mucous to cough up and when I cough up stuff this means that I try to blow it out my trachea (or get suctioned). In the porta-lung I have to have a home-made trach put in my trachea while I am inside the porta-lung to protect me from having the air sucked out of my lungs. When I cough up stuff with this home-made trach inside my throat, the trach gets clogged and I can’t breathe, if the porta-lung is flat. The other night I tried to blow out stuff with this trach in while the porta-lung was flat and the trach got clogged blocking my airway. I figured out that elevation is important and drainage is key - in the best of circumstances. If the porta lung is elevated then I can breathe around the trach. So, for those with congestion elevation is key!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...