Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fears of Positive Pressure

I have written before about my fears of positive pressure ventilation contrasting the breathing rhythm of positive pressure to that of negative pressure. It is good to reiterate those thoughts again for those of my readers who may not understand the difference between the two. There is a difference. Those searching for a respirator for themselves or a loved one are generally sold on positive pressure by the medical profession, just because it is the leading type of respiration on the market and they are trained in positive pressure. The medical profession (in general) doesn't know negative pressure with a porta lung and in the past, there has been no way to measure a person's air volume and CO2 in the porta lung. Let it be known: Porta Lung Inc now provides a kit to measure these air levels.



Positive pressure consists of the patient being attached to a respirator by a tube being inserted through the person's nose or mouth (in my case, a tracheotomy had to be performed on my trachea which is in the throat). It requires 24 nursing to monitor the respirator's settings and breathing rhythm because these respirators have been known to malfunction. Also, the tubes require daily cleaning to prevent infections and diseases which can come at the drop of a hat from the bacteria that collects in the tubing. This requirement of 24 nursing is very expensive and runs up enormous bills on insurance companies. After a time insurance premiums become maxed out and the patient is left without healthcare help when it is most needed. Furthermore, a patient's health tends to deteriorate while on positive pressure. Why? Well, I can tell you from my experience of using positive pressure at 18 yrs old that positive pressure doesn't require the patient to do anything while on the respirator. The respirator blows air into your lungs and you just receive it. The air comes, you receive it, there's a break for exhaling and you wait for the next blast of air. That's it. Your lungs are doing nothing and they just get stiff and weak.

Negative pressure with a porta lung is exactly the opposite. When I'm in the porta lung, my lungs move up and down with the rhythm of the machine. It doesn't feel like exercise because it is very relaxing with no strain required of me. Nevertheless, my lungs are getting exercise from the constant movement. Sort of like gentle physical therapy where they start rehab and you have to walk a little bit each day with some support until pretty soon you can walk miles all on your own. (I only know this from observation....haven't walked yet myself :) ). The porta lung is that support for the lungs. It also makes you more independent. Instead of needing a team of nurses 24/7, it only takes one person to put the patient in. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to put in bed every night which consists of pushing me through the head portal, fastening the collar t0 a comfortable seal (to allow the vent to reach a good pressure), closing the fiberglass door, and turning on the power button of the NEV-100. It can't get any simpler than that!

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I am writing with an odd yet very urgent problem. I actually posted this on your Porta-lung blog, too, but I'm pretty much at my wits end. Please forgive me.

    I am a long time user of the Porta-lung and the NEV-100 negative pressure ventilator. Yesterday morning, my NEV broke and the replacement that my health care agency (Apria Healthcare) sent also turned out to be broken. I was wondering what kind of negative pressure vent you use (and what healthcare agency) so that I might try to find a replacement as soon as possible. As I’m sure you understand, this is a very urgent matter.

    Also, may I ask if you’re located in Western Pennsylvania? I’ve read through your blog, and it seems that this might be the case. If so, I’m actually in Pittsburgh, too — maybe it’s not as hopeless as I think it is. I've read your posts on positive vs negative pressure and couldn't agree more, and right now my last resort for getting even a little sleep is a horrible BiPAP machine. I feel like I'm suffocating.

    If you could please respond back as soon as possible with any information you may have, I would be very grateful. You can reach me by e-mail at ras2883@yahoo.com or phone 724.600.9425 at any time during the day or night.

    Thank you.

    Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for contacting me here. I will do all I can to help you. The NEV is a great machine, except for those times when it breaks down and you can't find anyone who can fix it. I know exactly what that situation is like...it's very scary!!! So I'm going to contact some people at Respironics and try to get them to help you quickly. Now I'll email you with details.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...