Friday, November 6, 2009

Learning To Drive a New Car

Out with the old in with the new! The day of the Grand Prix of motor vehicles for the handicapped has arrived (in Susie's mind, that is)! Last Thursday my mom, my two sisters, my five-year-old niece and I went to pick up my new TDX Invacare power chair which is fitted to the shape of my back. It was an adventure because I spent 2 1/2 hours in the chair as they made minor adjustments to the various acoutrements to the chair. They would make adjustments and then I would test drive it around the shop to see how it felt - like as far as my comfort and visibility are concerned. It is great!!! I am still getting used to it though. Learning how to drive a new "car" is not easy! It takes time to get your bearings of a new set of wheels. Everything about the TDX is different from my Quickie power chair and sometimes it can be hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. But I'm getting a great feel for it now! The more I drive it, the more I like it! It's got POWER! The seating is SOOOOOOO comfortable and I can put it in tilt mode to recline back to relieve pressure on my back. Compared to my old chair it supports me better and makes it easier for me to breathe. I am still getting used to the feel of the joystick like how to grab the joystick with my knuckles. The question I have to ask myself is: "Which knuckles should I use to get the securest grip?" We built up the arm rest with foam and sheepskin so that my arm would be higher and I wouldn't have to hold my arm up while driving. Holding my arm up while driving results in disaster because it makes me tired and produces wild driving - weaving around and crashing. I love the power though! And the tilt-in-space is the BEST because when I get tired I just put in Drive 4 and put myself back. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...