Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Future Plans

I have decided to be a Theology major at Ave Maria, instead of a Literature major. For a while I wanted to be a Lit major because all my teachers have told me that I am a good writer. Whether this is true or not, I will leave to my readers' judgment. But being a good writer is not really a good basis for deciding to major in Literature; you have to be truly interested in the reading material and then be able to write volumes on it all. Most of the reading is poetry and I'm not a poetry lover. Poetry is very beautiful but in my opinion, it is boring. I would rather write a thesis on Our Lady as the Immaculate Conception or as Co-Redemptrix or Christ and the meaning of Suffering rather than write a thesis on The Portrait of Dorian Gray, Dostoevsky novels or JRR Tolkein's trilogy. I don't know...for me...theology and learning more about my Catholic faith is fascinating and it really appeals to who I am as a person. Besides, I really like my present teacher. He is a gem! (I hope he never reads this blog because he might be really embarrassed at being called a "gem" but still I would tell him in person that he is a great man, in less corny language, of course.). And, I asked him to be advisor. After doing that, working towards a degree seems a whole lot more exciting and fun. Plus, I have a chance to take courses with my nephews now and that is really fun too. My nephews and I get to know one another better and then we form bonds while they help me out in the classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...