Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hotrod's Folly

I love to go out in my electric chair to be independent, to get fresh air, sunshine, and to view the world from an upright position rather than from usual horizontal one. It is fun to get out and ride around! Oftentimes I'm alone but once in a while, I will find someone to talk to...that's always fun. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked from the point of this post. This post is going to be a story of an accident I had a long time ago when we lived in the mountains of Vermont. While we were living in our home in the mountains of North Danville I was going up the hill toward the stable (which my dad rennovated into an office) and the cottage (used as a guest house) on the driveway side. This hill was very steep and consisted of a dirt road with lots of rocks at the bottom of it. Then, as you went up the hill there was a woodchip path that you followed up toward the buildings. So I was going up the hill. My mom and sister were at the bottom of the hill carrying on a conversation and I decided that I wanted to turn around to listen to them. By this point I was a considerable distance ahead of them on the steepest part of the hill when I decided to turn around. I got my front wheel caught in the grassy knoll of the hill where a flag pole stood, and over I went. Tipped over sideways. It was then that I realized that a heavy sturdy chair is not exempt from tipping. It requires careful, thoughtful driving just like anything with a motor and wheels. When I tipped over my mom and sister came running up the hill and put the chair back upright. I never fell out or anything as I was strapped in tight with shoulder straps. It was just a real shock to my system - let me tell ya! My mom and sister were shocked at what happened! The reaction was: "What the heck was I thinking when I decided (stupidly) to turn around on the steepest part of the hill???" But it was good to learn that lesson because from then on, I went up the more gradual slope of the hills instead of the steep part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...