Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Observations in Life

When I first started college at Ave Maria University, I was both excited and nervous. Excited to be going to school and nervous that college was going to prove to be too big of a challenge for my mind. Fortunately, college has turned out to be a fair challenge and not insurmountable. The first class I took (Literary Tradition II) was fun and thrilling. Being in a classroom with a teacher and other classmates was like a breath of fresh to my brain, coming from the stagnate environment of homeschooling myself through highschool. Dr. Rommel was my professor. She was very much a no-nonsense type of teacher who liked her students to follow the rules of writing. Most of her students thought she was too strict and they didn't appreciate her style of teaching. Though she might have been kinda eccentric at times, I liked her. She appealed to my sense of orderliness and being the best at what you do. I enjoyed having a teacher who told me exactly what I needed to do to get good grades in her class. Of course it is about learning the material, not just getting good grades. But she set a standard for writing well and she went through how to meet that standard point by point. So, there was no guesswork required by the student to figure out Dr. Rommel's wishes. That's what I liked best about her teaching. Coming from homeschooling and winging it on my own, I was so happy to have a teacher because I realized how much I actually learned from Seton and how much I schluffed over, just grunting my way through highschool. The sheer monotony of homeschool made me want to just sort of inhale the education instead of letting it all sink in to my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...