Wednesday, September 11, 2013

No Fool Like An Old Fool!

Yesterday I decided to go for a ride on the golf course behind our house. Mom put me in my chair and out I went! With a humid breeze blowing my hair now and again, I thought I would take the same route my sister and I walked just two days before. Since they are re-doing the golf course the path ends in a certain place and requires me to cross part of a fareway and a muddy patch where the ground sinks in to get onto the path again on the other side. "No problem. I can do this!" I confidently but cockily thought to myself. So I off-roaded, only to get myself stuck in the mud! Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Did I say "stupid" enough? Let's say it one more time: I. AM. STUPID! What on earth was I thinking? Truth is: I wasn't thinking. I kept spinning my wheels now and again in two minute intervals. That got me nowhere! I only succeeded in digging my axles deep into the mud. There was no one around. The one living soul around had already passed me by in his golf cart. I honked my boat horn continuously for a few minutes but not a living soul was in earshot of the noise. And then, the horn died on me! (It had either been caked with mud or my chair battery was dying).

Yep! I was the middle of a wooded area with only the sounds of nature to comfort me. (A cold comfort they were!). When you listen to birds flying overhead and the wind whistling in the trees, the mind begins to play tricks on you and you start hearing things. My cockiness instantly vanished when I realized that I was stuck and it could be a while before someone found me. I prayed, and I prayed, and I prayed for someone to come rescue me. I begged my Guardian angel, Our Lady, St. Therese, and of course, Jesus to send someone there to get me out of that mud hole FAST. After 45 minutes my brother came by on his bike and pulled me out. The time clock went off in my parents heads that I had been gone too long and a search-and-rescue mission was put into effect. My mom went to the neighbors to ask if they had seen me (thinking I might have stopped by to talk to them), but of course, they hadn't seen me. My brother knew where to find me because he happened to see a red flag standing still way off in the distance from our driveway and he suspected it might be me.


I violated my rule to never go off of pavement when I'm alone. Stupid! So I am going to stick to paved roads from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...