Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Feast of Our Lady of Carmel! On this day in 1251 Mary, the Mother of God appeared to St. Simon Stock and gave him the brown scapular. This following excerpt is one of the meditations for today's feast from The Magnificat.
 
"The scapular is an external sign of the filial relationship established between the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother and Queen of Mount Carmel, and the faithful who entrust themselves totally to her protection, who are mindful of the primary of the spiritual life and the need of prayer."(Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy 205). "The Blessed Virgin watches unceasingly with a mother's loving care over the brethren of her Son, and lights us along our pilgrim way to the Mount of your Glory, our beacon of comfort, and the embodiment of all our hopes as members of the Church" (Preface for the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel).
 
 
This is a special day for me because on this day 37 years ago I took a few breaths on my own after being on positive pressure for four months.
 
 
On July 16, 1976 (the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel), the doctors did a chest x-ray on me and to their amazement found some movement in my diaphragm indicating a potential to breathe. Up until this time, I had shown little sign of improvement so seeing movement in my diaphragm was a shock to the nurses and the doctors caring for me. The nurse had come in to take me for a bath and disconnected the respirator. I would usually gasp for air and grind my teeth to show my distress and this always my nurses nervous and apprehensive and feeling helpless. This time, however, was different. When the nurse took me for a bath I was able to take some breaths on my own and I had a smile on my face! The nurse was so proud that she took me and showed me off to the nurses. My family took this as another sign from Our Lady that she was watching over me.  My primary care doctor at that time was a woman doctor who had served in the Israeli army by the name of Dr. Noah.  After this incident she said to Mom, “Mrs. Williams, in the future you must warn me of any feast days of the Blessed Mother so I can be prepared.”  Once again, Our Lady was watching over me.
 
 
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us!
 
  
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! That is so good. You are an inspiration to us all Therese. Thanks for these uplifting posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...