Friday, June 15, 2012

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane

On Monday June 11th I did just as the title says - I left my home in Florida and my loving parents and got on a jet plane headed to Pittsburgh with my sister Patty. It seems a bit surreal. I can't believe I left WITHOUT my parents. We have been together for SO LONG. You might say we are joined at the hip. Like all good parents, they felt tormented at the thought of letting me go and they watched with a heavy heart as I passed through Security. The TSA lady added a thorn to my dad's side when she yelled at him not to go through (as if he didn't know!). He was only going to wheel my carry–on to Security to help us and then we were going to say our goodbyes. As it was, my parents just turned and walked away. Perhaps, it is better that way since goodbyes are always difficult. As I was being frisked and patted down I looked to find Dad and Mom watching the whole ordeal. Patty and I waved goodbye a final time as we headed off to wait for the plane to arrive. We went to the counter at the gate to notify the attendant of our need for assistance to board the plane and to make sure my wheelchair had a tag before it was put down in the hold with the baggage. Then we waited a bit more until boarding the plane for a 12:35pm flight. Wheelchairs get to pre-board so I got to board a half hour prior to takeoff. For me to fly on an airplane is QUITE an ordeal because I have to sit in a regular seat (with my severe scoliosis this is no easy task) and pack pillows around me that help support my head and my back. After an hour of sitting like this, my lungs feel like they are about to cave in with my left rib pressing down on my hip. My stomach feels like it has popped in and out several times before without my noticing. Such severe bodily pain leaves me no recourse but to gut it out and just get to my destination as quickly as possible. At my destination my Porta Lung awaits. What a comforting thought! It is then time to eat and drink, veg out, and hit the sack. The fun awaits the next day.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...