Friday, July 24, 2009

Acceptance of the Porta Lung

The other day I had a conversation about the Porta Lung and negative pressure with a doctor who is retired from his profession. We were talking about the Iron Lung and in the conversation he told me that he remembers getting inside an Iron Lung and feeling overwhelmed by it. I agreed with him to some extent but then I told him the benefits of it. While the Iron Lung and the Porta Lung are intimidating at first, they are extremely beneficial in helping one to live an independent and full life, to the extent one can. Though the Porta Lung looks like the Iron Lung in many ways, it is portable which gives one much more freedom to go places and do things that are impossible to do with the Iron Lung. The key to getting familiar with the Porta Lung is to relax while inside the machine and put your mind to allowing the Porta Lung to breathe for you. It is only scary when you try to breathe against it because when you breathe against it, it is like fighting against the machine. You can't. And, when you try to fight against it, it only makes you more tired. For those who have chronic respiratory problems and are interested in trying the Porta Lung, my advice would be that when you are inside of it, relax and say to yourself "The Porta Lung is my friend and is here to help me." It is best to set your mind to the breathing rhthym of the machine and allow it to take over the breathing for you. You should think of being in the Porta Lung as a time for getting a rest from having to breathe entirely on your own 24/7. That is how I think of it. After breathing all day on my own and doing a day's activities, I really look forward to getting in the Porta Lung and having it take over my breathing so that I can get a rest from the physical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...